Here we answer some popular questions about the ASM Microbe 2019 annual meeting and give some crucial advice on how to make the most out of the meeting if you will be attending.
What is ASM Microbe 2019?
ASM Microbe is an annual meeting hosted by the American Society for Microbiology. The meetings are a vessel to convene microbiologists from across the globe in order to share knowledge and learn from one another.
The main tracks within this year’s meeting include:
- Antimicrobial agents and resistance
- Applied and environmental science
- Clinical infections and vaccines
- Clinical and public health microbiology
- Ecology, evolution and biodiversity
- Host-microbe biology
- Molecular biology and physiology
- Profession of microbiology
This year’s meeting will run from June 20 – 24 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco (CA, USA).
What should I look out for at ASM Microbe 2019?
- Opening Session: S001. Thursday, June 20, 5 – 6:45 PM. This will be an unmissable introduction to ASM Microbe 2019, featuring 2018 Nobel Prize for Chemistry winner Frances Arnold discussing the creation of new protein catalysts, and Joseph DeRisi, who will be discussing a collaboration between the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that focuses on lowering the barriers to use of genomic approaches for infectious disease investigations. There are also after chat sessions with each of the speakers to look out for!
- Organoids: S043. Friday, June 21, 12 – 12:45 PM. Organoids are coming along leaps and bounds across a range of different disciplines and applications. This session will look at the most recent advances in use of organoids in study of microbial infections, and how this is assisting in the development of novel therapies.
- Precision Editing of the Microbiome to Alter Health and Disease: S221. Saturday, June 22, 1:30 – 4 PM. This symposium will cover the use of CRISPR and other engineering techniques in order to affect disease outcomes that are associated with the microbiome.
- The Year in Clinical Microbiology: S392. Monday, June 24, 8:30 – 11 AM. This session will be a review of the most impactful publications in clinical microbiology over the past year. If you, like us at BioTechniques, enjoy discussing the most popular and influential papers when they hit the headlines, then this will not be one to miss.
To plan your time wisely at ASM Microbe 2019, take a look at the online program planner here.
How can I meet the BioTechniques team?
BioTechniques Digital Editor, Abigail Sawyer, and Business Development Director, Sarah Mayes, will both be present at the ASM Microbe 2019 annual meeting and excited to meet as many BioTechniques authors and readers as possible.
If you’re looking to publish, or for an opportunity to communicate your research to a wider audience, email [email protected] to arrange a meeting, or stop by booth #4825 to find out more. We are always on the look out for new collaborations and contributions to our numerous multimedia offerings on the www.biotechniques.com website.
Answers to some of your most frequently asked questions
Where is ASM Microbe 2019?
ASM Microbe 2019 will be hosted at the Moscone Center in San Francisco (CA, USA).
When is the registration deadline for ASM Microbe 2019?
The early-bird registration deadline for ASM Microbe 2019 is Wednesday, May 22, 2019. Registration and payment must be completed by Thursday, June 6, 2019. You can register here.
What is included in the ASM Microbe 2019 registration fee?
The ASM Microbe registration fee includes all conference materials, access to all scientific sessions, social events and the Exhibit and Poster halls.
When is the ASM Microbe 2019 abstract deadline?
The abstract submission deadline for ASM Microbe 2019 has now closed. However, the abstract submission for the 2020 ASM Microbe meeting will open later this year, in October/November 2019, so keep your eyes peeled for that!
Is there childcare at ASM Microbe 2019?
There is childcare available during the meeting, and this requires pre-registration. The registration deadline for childcare at ASM Microbe 2019 is Thursday, June 6, 2019. You can reserve your spot here.
How can I get in touch with the ASM Microbe team?
Contact [email protected]
Keep up to date with ASM Microbe 2019
Subscribe to the BioTechniques newsletters to be kept abreast of what is happening during this year’s meeting.